Stay connected ... follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Official GAA Club Website
New Beginners/Under 6 Boys and Girls Coaching GuidesNotes for Coaches:
- Create a positive environment.
- Make sure kids enjoy it.
- It's fun and everyone gets to play.
- Remember: They wear the club jersey!
Important to let all players know:
Helmet are compulsory for hurling and mouth guards for football.
Players should be encouraged to wear shin guards.
For Health and Safety they are encouraged to bring their own
Core Skills for New Beginners/Under 6
- Carry Hurley
- Carry Ball
- Grip/Ready/Lock/Swing Positions
- Crouch position and hurley grip for roll lift
(note: do not perform the actual roll lift)
- The C Swing (Both sides)
- Stop a ground ball
- Ground Strike Stationary both sides
- Ground Strike on run
- Catching (two handed, then one handed)
- Roll/Jab Lifts
- Solo (2 variations - slliotar balanced/stuck to hurl or sliotar bouncing)
- Ball Hops (one side of the bas)
- Tippy Taps (both sides of the bas)
- http://learning.gaa.ie/planner - links to games development, drills, skills and fun games
Lesson Plans for Under 6 Coaching Sessions